Message Received – Startup Community Roundtable Recap Headfake
Originally, I planned to write a recap of our conversation. But the Houston Startups group can fill you in.
I’d rather tell you what people have been doing since the meeting three days ago:
- In response to the call for better university/startup recruiting, Jay Vinekar spoke with the Chair of the Computer Science department at the University of Houston. They will provide local startups with a direct line to the CS department for recruiting exceptional developers.
- Our friends from Cleanweb Texas launched Houston’s first Cleanweb Hackathon. Right now, there are about 50 passionate people sitting in Duncan Hall working on what comes next.
- James Wroblewski noticed that the startup community LinkedIn group had been neglected. So he started a new one, and he volunteered to be an active curator. If you know people who use LinkedIn more than Facebook, please encourage them to join. To celebrate, James is spending the weekend at the hackathon.
- Buffalo Bayou Brewing Company launched Smoke on the Bayou and Rassul spent Friday night delivering kegs. Then, on Saturday, they helped a bunch of puppies find new homes.
- Ben Gillin and his wife Maru painted a sandwichboard together in Rice Village for a new soda/candy store called RocketFizz.
- FINALLY, we reskinned Startup Houston with a responsive theme. It’s not perfect, but it’s something.